- - - - -

Weather Radar? Cabin Pressure? Traffic on EFIS? Cost Index?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ant

Ant

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft, Airports, aviation & Theme Parks

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:30 AM

Hi...

My name is Anthony if you haven't noticed with my picture.

I learn each day with this aircraft doing short and long flights. Longest flight I've done with this aircraft is 4 hours.... Short haul flights really.

Anyway, I would LOVE to know how to work the Weather Radar, how to control the Cabin Pressure, Cost Index and to see Traffic on the EFIS.

Weather Radar -
I think I'm not doing the right thing because when I sort out my weather tracker, nothing comes up on the EFIS so I can see what the weather is doing at different altitudes so I know where I'm going to hit some turbulance, see if it's raining, cloudy, foggy. All sorts of weather! Just, nothing comes up!

Cabin Pressure -
Apparently, because the Airbus A320 is so advance, the aircraft controls its Cabin Pressure during flights? Is this true? If not, then can someone teach me?

Traffic on the EFIS -
A few days ago my friend managed to get a picture of traffic on his EFIS while flying and was picking up other aircraft? I forgot which aircraft he was in and what he was flying but it looked like he could watch other traffic and how far away they was away from him on his EFIS? Is this possible or am I just losing my mind due to the amount of flying I've done?

Cost Index -
During setting up the FMC, it asks for Cost Index... Now, it's making me put numbers but what does it mean?

Also, as you can probably tell... I LOVE my flying and I want to have EVERYTHING real as possible or there's no point paying over

#2 FLEX1978

FLEX1978

Guru

• Customer Support
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2005 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

Hi Anthony,

First thing I would recommend is having a look at this site - http://www.smartcock...irbus/A320/  It is a great resource for understanding the aircrafts system logic.

I will outline the basics but if you would like me to go into more technical detail then let me know ;)  I will assume you already know how aircraft pressurization & TCAS work in general so will only talk about the basic logic and operation on the A320

Weather Rader -

This is not simulated, it is generally accepted that it is not possible to realistically simulate this within the FS environment. Real world weather radar detects water droplets within clouds, unfortunately   FS does not output this data. Some addons do attempt to simulate this in a crude form but apart from the visuals it will not actually serve any purpose.

Cabin Pressure -

Cabin pressure is handled automatically through the FMGS
(Flight Management & Guidance Computer & ADIRS  Air Data Inertial Reference System
Rob Prest

Posted Image

#3 Ant

Ant

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

Thank you!

I managed to get the TCAS working and it's warning me! As well as ATC ahah.... The cabin pressure, I thought it was auto. I do keep an eye on it! I don't want my and my passengers eyes popping out ;)

Just again on the Weather Radar... Are you stating that it doesn't work?

- Ant

#4 FLEX1978

FLEX1978

Guru

• Customer Support
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2005 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:05 PM

View PostAnt, on 29 August 2011 - 04:30 PM, said:

Thank you!

I managed to get the TCAS working and it's warning me! As well as ATC ahah.... The cabin pressure, I thought it was auto. I do keep and eye on it! I don't want me and my passengers eyes popping out ;)

Just again on the Weather Radar... Are you stating that it doesn't work?

- Ant

Yep the weather rader is disabled. Unfortunately the FS9 & FSX weather engine is very basic, developers would require much more data from the simulator in order to realistically simulate a weather rader. I hope future versions of FS will improve on the weather engine.

Regards

Rob
Rob Prest

Posted Image

#5 Ant

Ant

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

Ouch!

Thanks for that rob.... Shame really, I would LOVE to see the weather radar showing me what's ahead instead of (like tonights flight) coming down into strong winds with heavy rain and bad turbulance.

I have 1 more question!

Nose Gear during Taxi -

As I said before, I like to keep my FS real as possible and I will do whatever it takes to do that. So, instead of using the alerions, I use the rudder. Basic keys on FS;

0 = Left
5 = Straight
Enter = Right

On the keypad on the keyboard. This works really well on all my other aircraft including the CaptainSim 757 (I only fly CS757 and ASA320), the problem is that it doesn't turn my front wheel NOR the tail fin during taxi. Now, I know that the captain does have the little Nose Wheel Stearing thing next to the Joystick. When I try to even move this, it doesn't want to move, it goes to 1 then flickers between 1 and 0. This even happens when trying to use my rudder...

Any help? Any buttons I need to press to show the aircraft I want to taxi so it lets me move the front wheel?

- Ant

#6 777kid

777kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Video games, anime, history, paranormal stuff, AIRBUS, flight, philosophy, writing, art, Golf, Archery, some nature stuff, space, good food...etc.

PSN:

XBOX LIVE:

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:30 AM

View PostAnt, on 29 August 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

Ouch!

Thanks for that rob.... Shame really, I would LOVE to see the weather radar showing me what's ahead instead of (like tonights flight) coming down into strong winds with heavy rain and bad turbulance.

I have 1 more question!

Nose Gear during Taxi -

As I said before, I like to keep my FS real as possible and I will do whatever it takes to do that. So, instead of using the alerions, I use the rudder. Basic keys on FS;

0 = Left
5 = Straight
Enter = Right

On the keypad on the keyboard. This works really well on all my other aircraft including the CaptainSim 757 (I only fly CS757 and ASA320), the problem is that it doesn't turn my front wheel NOR the tail fin during taxi. Now, I know that the captain does have the little Nose Wheel Stearing thing next to the Joystick. When I try to even move this, it doesn't want to move, it goes to 1 then flickers between 1 and 0. This even happens when trying to use my rudder...

Any help? Any buttons I need to press to show the aircraft I want to taxi so it lets me move the front wheel?

- Ant
doesn't the nose wheel auto shift with the ruder ctrl wen in taxi. it works for me that way.

#7 FLEX1978

FLEX1978

Guru

• Customer Support
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2005 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:27 AM

You cant use the keyboard to steer the aircraft on the ground - Like the real aircraft the AS A320 nose wheel steering is FBW, The Nose wheel steering effect of rudder displacement reduces with increased speed and at 130 kts rudder control is purely aerodynamic.

Your best option is rudder pedals, next is a twist action joystick.
Rob Prest

Posted Image

#8 AAA578

AAA578

Guru

• Customer Support
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:52 AM

Anthony, and all

Please register your product on the forum, and use the Basic technical forum

http://www.airsimmer...?app=regproduct
KIRK CHRISTIE
Posted Image
Windows 7 64bit Asus P8P67 Pro Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30Ghz ASUS GTX550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 @ 910MHz 8GB DDR3 RAM